Let Our Attorneys Offer Guidance on Guardianship Law in Albany, NY

If a person becomes incapacitated due to an accident, illness or old age or has a developmental disability, they will need someone to manage their affairs for them. A guardian needs to be appointed to care for the person and manage the financial affairs of the person.

Guardianship is an important part of the estate planning process when children are involved. Our team of trusted attorneys can help you navigate this process, so your loved ones are protected if you ever become incapacitated and unable to care for your children. Ideally, a will should already be in place and updated by the time you have children, however, that’s not always the case. Our attorneys are capable of finding a solution that ensures minors will receive the best possible option in terms of care and inheritance.

If you have a will in place but have not yet updated it to reflect estate planning and guardianship roles please contact us to make certain your loved ones will be taken care of in the chance that something happens to you. Estate planning not only encompasses guardianship roles, but it also guarantees that the majority of your estate will be transferred to your beneficiaries with the least amount of taxes. Your estate involves any land, retirement, cars, or savings accounts among other aspects, so it’s important that it’s being divided how you would desire.

There are two different types of guardianships that can be pursued in New York State. Article 81 of the Mental Hygiene Law allows for a guardian to be appointed for a person who has become incapacitated due to an accident, illness or old age (such as in the case of the onset of dementia). Article 17-A of the Surrogate’s Court Procedure Act allows for the appointment of a guardian for persons determined to be mentally retarded or developmentally disabled. If a family member is in need of either type of guardianship, we can assist you through the guardianship process.

To learn more about our services, please contact one of the knowledgeable attorneys at NVNO at (518) 862-9292, email us at info@nullnvnolaw.com or request a consultation below.